Tuesday 24 January 2012

Ride on a different bike - and a problem!

This weekend we were away, so no proper training.  But I managed to borrow a friends' seriously nice cross bike on the pretext of taking it for a service when collecting the tandem.  Very light, lethally fast, but too small for my tall frame, so I suffered with back ache and other unmentionable places!!  But as it was custom assembled for him, again by Gary Moger of Revolve, it was not surprising I was uncomfortable.

Our problem lies with the tandem, in that we cannot alter the gearing.  The bike is about 15 years old, and although I have not yet had a detailed conversation with Gary, (I am collecting the bike today), it appears that the parts we need are just not available unless we spend a stupid amount of money.  But apart from that, everything else has been fiddled and fettled including new cables all round, brakes and a higher riding position for me, so my back hopefully will not suffer quite as much.  We are aiming for a ride this coming weekend to try everything out. And for all those long hills around Cornwall with too higher a gear - we can always push - although it goes against the grain!
So I will write more when we have had a proper tandem ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment